The recently launched Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) by Canada is a two way process to gain permanent residence in Canada. It requires applicants to first apply for provincial nomination, and in the event of being successful in the first step, moving on to applying for citizenship in Canada. In order to be eligible for the Alberta Work Experience Category of the Alberta Immigration Nomination Program (AINP), as a candidate, you must consider two sets of criteria:
AINP ELIGIBLE OCCUPATIONS:
Few occupations in NOC skill level D are also now eligible; which include:
- Construction Trades Helpers and Labourers (NOC 7611)
- Other Trades Helpers and Labourers (NOC 7612)
- Light Duty Cleaners (NOC 6661)
- Specialized Cleaners (NOC 6662)
- Janitors, Caretakers and Building Superintendents (NOC 6663)
Note, certain occupations do not qualify as eligible for this program. Before going to the next step, make certain your intended occupation is on the list of eligible occupations.
AINP OTHER CRITERIA:
- When the applicant is looking to apply, at that specific time, the applicant must be working full-time in Alberta and must have a valid work permit with temporary resident status from Citizenship and Immigration Canada to be able to work in Alberta in an eligible occupation
- Applicant must be residing in Alberta
- The applicant must intend to continue to reside in, and work permanently in Alberta
- If applicant’s current occupation is a NOC skill level:
- 0, A or B, he/she must show proof of a full-time work in Alberta for one out of the past two years;
- C or D, the applicant must show he/she has been working full-time in Alberta for two out of the past three years.
Please note that unauthorized employment will not be counted towards meeting the work experience criterion. Secondly, if the applicant works in a regulated occupation in Alberta, he or she must have the required certificate, license, and/or registration. Apart from this, applicant must also submit official language test results. Apart from this, the availability of AINP streams and categories depends upon the number of applications and labor market needs.
AINP – STREAMS:
- Employer Driven Stream: This is for Alberta employers who want to retain a foreign worker on a permanent or full time basis. Candidates for this stream must have a valid permanent or a full time job offer from an Alberta employer before submitting an application
- Strategic Recruitment Stream: This stream is meant to fill the skill shortages that might exist in Alberta in various industries. Under this category, the applicant may not require a valid job offer from an employer. This stream is further broken down into two sub categories:
- Compulsory and Optional Trades – This is for those with an Alberta Qualification Certificate in a trade as mentioned by the province
- Engineering Occupations Category – This is for those who have credentials as an engineer, designer or drafter as well as have work experience in the province of Alberta
- Family Stream
- Self-Employed Farmer Stream: This is for the already established and experienced farmers who plan to immigrate, purchase and manage a farming business within the province of Alberta. The applicant must have proof of his or her farm management skills. Apart from this, the applicant must also have enough financial resources to run a successful farming business. The applicant is required to invest in a primary production farming business in Alberta.