This category of work permit includes those workers who are qualified in taking care of children, elderly persons or disable persons. These workers work in private homes without supervision. There is also a condition of employment that the Live in Caregivers reside with their employer at their residence.


  • In order to be eligible, you must have;
  • A positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) completed by the employer in Canada
  • Completion of secondary education is compulsory which has to be equivalent to that of a Canadian secondary school education.
  • A written contract by your future employer, that has to be signed by both of you and your employer.
  • A minimum of 6 months training or you must have at least one year of work experience as a full-time paid worker as a caregiver or one year of experience in the related field of work (that includes six months with one employer) considering it within past 3 years.
  • The Post-Secondary education.
  • Proficiency in English or French.
  • Obtained a work permit before entering Canada.


You can apply to become a permanent resident of Canada through the Live-in Caregiver Program if you meet the requirements. You may be eligible to apply for permanent residence in Canada after you have had the following work experience under the Live-in Caregiver Program:

  • 24 months of authorized full-time live-in employment, or
  • 3,900 hours of authorized full-time employment. You can complete these hours within a minimum of 22 months. When calculating your hours, you can also include up to 390 hours of overtime; and
  • The work experience must be acquired within four years of your date of arrival.